Your Organization at Housing Works
Groups of volunteers assist our organization greatly, by coming together to better the communities that they live and work in. Housing Works is pleased to partner with corporations, universities, and community based groups, in the creation and implementation of volunteer projects that benefit homeless men and women living with HIV/AIDS. We are one of New York City’s largest and most successful support services for those in these under served communities, and becoming a part of the Housing Work’s family is an exciting way for companies to give back.
Each project challenges volunteers to develop new skills and engage new people, contributing to a greater sense of camaraderie. We welcome the opportunity to work with corporations to find volunteer opportunities that meet their needs and priorities. Volunteering with Housing Works is a great way for companies to engage employees while demonstrating their commitment to the fight against homelessness and AIDS, and the improvement of the lives of all at-risk New Yorkers.
Housing Works Thrifts’ Processing and Distribution Center
Housing Works, Inc. is a pioneer in the social enterprise business model movement. Our 13 city wide thrift shops generate revenue to support our programs and services. The merchandise at our 13 Thrift Shops depends on the generous donations of all New Yorkers. All profits are used to aid our mission to end the dual crises of AIDS and homelessness. Their annual revenues total approximately $15 million.
- All clothing donations are sent to our Processing and Distribution Center (PDC) in Long Island City, Queens. There, a dedicated team of staff and volunteers prepare these donations to be sold in our thrift shops.
- Volunteer roles consist of:
- Sorting donations
- Hanging and tagging merchandise
- Inventory and back-stock
- Volunteer shifts are available Monday – Friday; either 9am-1pm or 10am- 2pm.
- The PDC can accommodate a maximum of 15 volunteers per shift and no prior experience is required.
How Your Group Helps at the PDC
- The PDC receives thousands of units of clothing per day. PDC volunteers help expedite processing donations and restocking stores, which ultimately helps generate greatly needed revenue for our organization.
- PDC volunteers find the volunteer experience both incredibly rewarding and exciting. We invite your company to join us in the fight against the dual crises of homelessness and AIDS in New York City.
Special Event Opportunities
Each year, Housing Works holds two charity events which serve to generate tremendous revenues, donations, and resources for our organization: Design On A Dime and Fashion For Action. These events are large scale fundraisers that require hundreds of volunteers for multiple days to assist with set up, day of event tasks, and break down. We welcome the opportunity to partner with corporations who would like to assist us with these events which are an integral part of Housing Works fundraising and advocacy.
Scheduled Event Dates:
- Design On A Dime New York: April 26, 2017 – April 29, 2017
- Shift times and duties vary by day, the specifics of which are discussed individually with each volunteer group prior to the event.
- Event planning and volunteer staffing typically begins two to three months prior to each event.