New York, NY
The Bookstore Sales Associate will help coordinate the day to day operations of our volunteer-staffed bookstore cafe, ensuring that our volunteer staff is directed according to the needs of the store, events, and online sales department.
- Open, close and implement general operational duties of the bookstore, including cash reconciliation and cash register management
- Coordinate and train volunteers for store and event operations
- Create and maintain a welcoming environment for volunteers and provide appropriate, useful tasks and supervision so they can successfully complete these tasks
- Set up, breakdown and staff bookstore events. This process requires someone with high energy!
- Maintain an assigned section of the store by processing books and promoting sales for those genres
- Research and price books
- Organize and clean specific areas of the store when necessary (including bathrooms)
- Receive, route, and process donations and other deliveries. You must be able to lift heavy boxes and use a hand truck. This job includes significant time moving boxes.
- Ensure Customer Services standards are upheld by greeting customers, answering the phone, fielding customer questions and concerns, and training volunteers to do the same
- Represent Housing Works
- Participate in at least one direct action per quarter aimed at ending the dual crises of homelessness and HIV/AIDS.
- Know the Housing Works’ Mission Statement and goals and be able to inform and discuss with customers, volunteers, and donors.
- Other duties as assigned
- At least one year of bookstore experience
- Knowledge of specific genres required
- Knowledge of AIDS issues and/or nonprofit background a plus
- Café experience a plus
- OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Interpersonal skills to effectively supervise a large volunteer staff and coordinate with other staff members and staff from other departments
- The ability to lift boxes of books/ event equipment and go up and down several flights of stairs throughout the day
- Scheduling Flexibility
Housing Works provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements. Housing Works complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.