The Property Manager (PM) ensures the safety, security, and daily 0perations of the residences. The PM is responsible for compliance with all regulatory and contractual requirements (HUD, OTDA, DOHMH, OSHA, FDNY, etc.) He or she directly supervises the Facility Managers and indirectly supervises the Custodians and Maintenance Workers. The PM is responsible for rent collections (in some cases, in collaboration with Program staff); the negotiation of rental and payment agreements with residents; and rent collection reconciliation spreadsheets relevant to resident payments and outside subsidy sources. The PM also assists program staff with residential recreational events and activities.
- Ensure the safety and security of all residents.
- Ensure the safety and integrity of the physical environment.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory and contractual requirements (HUD, OTDA, DOHMH, OSHA, FDNY, etc.).
- Provide oversight to the facility management/maintenance systems within the facility.
- Provide excellent residential property management service. Respond to resident requests/concerns in a timely and courteous manner.
- Ensure that there is 24- hour emergency coverage for the facility.
- Be on-call, as needed, to answer and assist the facility with any needs.
- Conduct at least monthly inspections of the facility or facilities to ensure compliance with all regulatory agencies, daily cleanliness, and proper upkeep of all repairs.
- Ensure that residential files are properly maintained and kept up to date in accordance with company policy and regulatory agency requirements. Prepare and maintain appropriate residential files, records, correspondence and file notes.
- Directly supervise the Facility Managers and indirectly supervise the Custodians and Maintenance staff.
- Maintain the daily management and administration of the residences and residential services.
- Provide excellent customer service via the Salesforce-based Work Order System. Make sure that all work orders are responded to as per policy. Follow-up with residents and staff after the completion of all work orders, to ensure the satisfactory resolution.
- Facilitate monthly staff meetings with your direct reports, and ensure that your direct reports are hosting staff meetings.
- Ensure that all staff are trained in de-escalation, and CPR.
- Conduct Community meetings with residents on at least a bi-monthly basis.
- Facilitate and/or participate in the Residential Advisory Boards (RAB).
- Complete performance evaluations for direct reports; participate in completion of performance evaluations for indirect supervisees.
- Provide formal, documented supervision to direct report(s) on an at least weekly basis.
- Ensure that all staff in your department receives formal, documented supervision on an at least weekly basis.
- Screen, interview and coordinate the selection of new residents with relevant clinical/program staff.
- Ensure that vacated units are turned over and ready for occupancy on a timely basis, usually within three (3) business days.
- In coordination and collaboration with program staff, conduct resident room inspections on an at least monthly basis. Ensure that documentation of inspections is entered in the client’s record.
- Ensure that the occupancy rate is following the funder and regulatory requirements.
- Facilitate the completion of all required paperwork and documents for new and continuing residents.
- Work with clinical program staff to ensure that residents maintain all benefits and entitlements that they qualify for.
- In collaboration with the Safety & Security Manager, conduct fire drills on at least a quarterly basis.
- Serve, as the liaison between agencies that provide funding for residents such as HRA, HASA, and public assistance for obtaining and maintaining full and timely payments.
- Manage and assist with the rent collection process and the monthly reconciliation, as well as follow-up with residents on late payments.
- Complete required reports and submit them on or before prescribed deadlines.
- In collaboration with relevant Housing Program staff, ensure compliance with all contractual requirements.
- Recruit and develop staff; this is to include mentoring and guidance, and identifying training needs.
- Ensure that staff is motivated and aligned to achieve the organization’s goals and that accountability and learning systems are in place and used effectively.
- Demonstrate excellent teamwork and foster this within the residential facilities.
- Build relationships with other Housing Works departments.
- Maintain excellent job performance of staff by coaching, counseling, disciplining, planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service with residents/clients, staff, vendors; and all other stakeholders.
- Enthusiastically participate in advocacy and direct actions to end the twin crises of homelessness and HIV/AIDS.
- A bachelor’s degree in management, business administration or related field.
- Three years’ experience in residential or commercial property management in New York City.
- Experience with and a basic understanding of NYC and NYS housing laws and regulations, to include Housing Court and HPD regulations and requirements.
- Experience with and knowledge of the management of multiple contracts, to include but not be limited to: HRA/HASA, HUD, DOHMH, and OTDA (HHAP, OSAH, etc.)
- Experience with maintenance procedures and systems; and experience with custodial procedures and systems.
- Certificate of Fitness (S95) certification; or, obtain within the first 90 days of employment.
- Inventory system knowledge that promotes cost savings and electronic tracking of products.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Be dependable and flexible.
- Ability to fully supervise, monitor and occasionally work shifts associated with a department that operates 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.
- Demonstrated ability to manage information, including the maintenance of complete and accurate financial records and resident files.
- Ability to learn and become proficient with case management and property management software.
- Good communication skills, both verbally and written, including the ability to communicate with all levels of management.
- Strong interpersonal, coaching, and administrative skills.
- Strong mathematical, analytical, and strategic skills.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task with limited direct supervision.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).