The Sales Associate works to provide first-rate customer and donor services, maximizing sales and to support the daily operations of the store.
Customer Service and Sales:
- To understand and fully implement Housing Works’ customer service program which includes:
o The 10/4 Greeting
o The 4 Steps to Great Customer Service
o And the 5 Steps to Handling Customer Complaints
- Showcase exemplary customer/donor service, including but not limited to greeting, saying thank you, and explaining policies clearly and politely to the satisfaction of the customer.
- Prioritize assisting customers over all other store tasks.
- To be able to service multiple customers at one time with courtesy and sincerity.
- To employ suggestive selling techniques to better meet the customer’s needs.
- Know the daily sales goals and upcoming events or promotions.
- Actively promote upcoming events, sales, promotions and Housing Works mission at all stations and at all times.
- Assist with marketing store in neighborhood, especially during upcoming events.
- Cultivate relationships with repeat customers in order to serve them better.
- Preserve positive work-atmosphere by communicating with coworkers, volunteers, supervisors and customers/donors cordially and effectively.
Point of Sale/Cash Wrap:
- Complete cash/charge transactions quickly and accurately, bag purchases efficiently and communicate upcoming events and promotions to the customer.
- Conduct furniture sales as outlined in policies and procedures manual.
- Maintain register cleanliness, cash wrap area must be clean and uncluttered, bags and supplies must be stocked and organized for efficiency.
- Greet and thank donors with walk-in donations and provide excellent customer service as per the Housing Works’ customer service program.
- Offer Donor Inventory Form and provide assistance as necessary to the donor.
- Process merchandise according to store standards.
- Efficiently distribute goods to proper locations, taking into account all safety/processing guidelines.
General Duties/Asset Protection:
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of sales floor, stock rooms, cash wrap, and fitting rooms.
- Demonstrate a high degree of integrity and enforce/uphold all Housing Works policies and procedures.
- Utilizing the 10/4 greeting, acknowledge all customers, monitor fitting rooms and be aware of potential theft/tag switching.
- Ensure register, cash handling and banking practices are in compliance with Housing Works policies and procedures.
- Ensure that inventory and pricing guidelines are complied with and maintained.
- Report unsafe working conditions immediately and demonstrate safe work habits.
Housing Works Ambassador:
- Participate in at least one direct action per quarter aimed at ending the twin crises of homelessness and HIV/AIDS.
- Know the Housing Works’ Mission Statement and goals and be able to inform and discuss with customers.
Create Volunteer Culture:
- Embraces the Volunteer Toolkit and assists the management team with implementation of the guidelines.
- Create and maintain a welcoming environment for volunteers.
- Work with all staff to train and develop volunteers.
- Actively recruit for volunteers from customers, donors, and neighborhood institutions.
- Develop reciprocal relationships with neighborhood establishments.
- Reach out to neighborhood to drive donations.
- Develop and utilize local store marketing kit and in store marketing tools.
- Prior retail experience preferred
- Commitment to excellent customer service
- Experience/knowledge of thrift store environment preferred
- Excellent communications skills (both verbal and written), interpersonal and team-oriented skills
- Self-starting, self motivating mindset
- Attention to detail
- Strong interest in the HW mission to end the dual crises of homelessness and HIV/AIDS
- Basic mathematical skills to include adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, and calculating percentages
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and web based email applications
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Flexibility in schedule, weekends and holidays are required
- Ability to stand, walk, kneel, and bend for long periods of time and lift up to 40 pounds