The Keyholder, under the direction of the Store Manager, is responsible for the sales and overall operations of the store. The Keyholder must ensure that customer service is prioritized over all other tasks and is responsible for the supervision, training and development of the associates.
Essential Job Functions:
- Ensure that all daily, weekly and monthly operational tasks are completed accurately and timely (inventory, paperwork, reports).
- Utilize Housing Works’ tools to ensure store operations and standards are met.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with all Housing Works’ policies and procedures.
- Constantly review store environment to improve operations and merchandising.
- Ensure that store uses daily focus with staff/volunteer deployment, sales goals, special promotions, and daily to-dos.
- Work closely with Management to train and develop skills of all employees and volunteers to ensure that all fully understand standards, organizational goals and direction.
- Ensure staff and volunteers have been thoroughly trained on register operations, visual merchandising techniques, and store maintenance standards.
- Demonstrate proper care, handling and maintenance of donations, store merchandise and all interior fixturing.
- Ensure store is merchandised in accordance with Housing Works standards. This would include but is not limited to creating exciting displays, displays that promote upcoming events, and execute floor plans that feature and highlight premium quality product.
Customer Service and Sales:
- To understand and fully implement Housing Works’ customer service program which includes:
o The 10/4 Greeting
o The 4 Steps to Great Customer Service
o The 5 Steps to Handling Customer Complaints
- Showcase exemplary customer/donor service, including but not limited to greeting, saying thank you, and explaining policies clearly and politely to the satisfaction of the customer.
- Prioritize assisting customers over all other store tasks.
- Be able to service multiple customers at one time with courtesy and sincerity.
- Employ suggestive selling techniques to better meet the customer’s needs.
- Know the daily sales goals and upcoming events or promotions.
- Effectively plan for events by identifying event quality merchandise and/or appropriately themed merchandise.
- Actively promote upcoming events, sales, promotions and Housing Works mission at all stations and at all times.
- Assist with marketing store in neighborhood, especially during upcoming events.
- Cultivate relationships with repeat customers in order to serve them better.
- Preserve positive work-atmosphere by communicating with coworkers, volunteers, supervisors and customers/donors cordially and effectively.
Point of Sale/Cash Wrap:
- Complete cash/charge transactions quickly and accurately, bag purchases efficiently and communicate upcoming events and promotions to the customer.
- Conduct furniture sales as outlined in policies and procedures manual.
- Maintain register cleanliness, cash wrap area must be clean and uncluttered, bags and supplies must be stocked and organized for efficiency.
- Greet and thank donors with walk-in donations and provide excellent customer service as per the Housing Works’ customer service program.
- Offer Donor Inventory Form and provide assistance as necessary to the donor.
- Process merchandise according to store standards.
- Efficiently distribute goods to proper locations, taking into account all safety/processing guidelines.
General Duties/Asset Protection:
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of sales floor, stock rooms, cash wrap, and fitting rooms.
- Demonstrate a high degree of integrity and enforce/uphold all Housing Works policies and procedures.
- Utilizing the 10/4 greeting, acknowledge all customers, monitor fitting rooms and be aware of potential theft/tag switching.
- Ensure register, cash handling and banking practices are in compliance with Housing Works policies and procedures.
- Ensure that inventory and pricing guidelines are complied with and maintained.
- Report unsafe working conditions immediately and demonstrate safe work habits.
Housing Works Ambassador:
- Participate in at least one direct action per quarter aimed at ending the twin crises of homelessness and HIV/AIDS.
- Know the Housing Works’ Mission Statement and goals and be able to inform and discuss with customers.
Create Volunteer Culture:
- Embrace the Volunteer Toolkit and implement guidelines into the daily work plan.
- Create and maintain a welcoming environment for volunteers.
- Work with all staff to train and develop volunteers.
- Actively recruit for volunteers from customers, donors, and neighborhood institutions.
- Develop reciprocal relationships with neighborhood establishments.
- Reach out to neighborhood to drive donations.
- Develop and utilize local store marketing kit and in store marketing tools.
- 1 to 2 years prior retail experience required
- Commitment to excellent customer service
- Experience/knowledge of thrift store environment preferred
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written), interpersonal and team-oriented skills
- Self-starting, self motivating mindset
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail
- Strong interest in the HW mission to end the dual crises of homelessness and HIV/AIDS
- Basic mathematical skills to include adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, and calculating percentages
- High level of knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and web based email applications required
- High School Diploma or equivalent, some college preferred
- Flexibility in schedule, weekends and holidays are required
- Ability to stand, walk, kneel, and bend for long periods of time and lift up to 40 pounds