New York, NY
The Assistant Manager, under the direction of the Store Manager, is responsible for all administrative, operational, and merchandising functions of the store with the primary objective of meeting shop sales and profit plans. The Assistant Manager must ensure that customer service is prioritized over all other tasks and is responsible for the supervision, training and development of the employees and volunteers.
- Plan ahead to develop strategic and operational objectives for self and others to ensure work is completed efficiently. Adjust plan accordingly and celebrate success with the team.
- Set goals for the store team, manage execution, track progress, and measure results regularly using standard metrics including but not limited to; Sales Volume, Average Dollar Sale, Average Unit Sale, Traffic Counts and Conversion Rates.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with all Housing Works policies and procedures and that all daily, weekly, and monthly operational tasks are completed accurately and timely.
- Work with the Store Manager to recruit, interview, hire, and train all sales associates.
- Work with the Store Manager to train and develop skills of all employees and volunteers to ensure understanding and compliance to shop standards, organizational goals and direction; including conducting progressive counseling as necessary.
- To understand and fully implement Housing Works’ customer service program, showcasing exemplary customer/donor service, including but not limited to greeting, saying thank you, explaining policies clearly and politely to the satisfaction of the customer, and by prioritizing assisting customers/donors over all other shop tasks.
- Ensure store is merchandised in accordance with Housing Works’ standards including creative visual display, appropriate pricing, cleanliness and organization.
- Work with the Store Manager to establish a welcoming environment for volunteers, including active recruitment, training and development, and ensuring compliance to volunteer guidelines.
- Ensure store is in compliance with all branding guidelines, including but not limited to signage, brochures, and promotional events.
- Perform all other duties as directed by supervisor and/or executive management.
Housing Works Ambassador
- Participate in at least one direct action per quarter aimed at ending the twin crises of homelessness and HIV/AIDS.
- Know the Housing Works’ Mission Statement and goals and be able to inform and discuss with customers.
- 2 years prior retail experience required
- Commitment to excellent customer service
- Experience/knowledge of thrift store environment preferred
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written), interpersonal and team-oriented skills
- Self-starting, self motivating mindset
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail
- Strong interest in the HW mission to end the dual crises of homelessness and HIV/AIDS
- Basic mathematical skills to include adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, and calculating percentages
- High level of knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and web based email applications required
- High School Diploma or equivalent, some college preferred
- Flexibility in schedule, weekends and holidays are required
- Ability to stand, walk, kneel, and bend for long periods of time and lift up to 40 pounds
Housing Works provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements. Housing Works complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.