Free Furniture Pick-Up
Housing Works Thrift Shops operate as a resale business, using the sales from high quality donations to fund housing resources, lifesaving services and advocacy for homeless and low-income New Yorkers living with and affected by HIV/AIDS.
Why are we selective?
Housing Works is known for featuring fantastic vintage and contemporary furniture, fashion and accessories in an exciting shopping environment. We fund our fight to end AIDS and homelessness from the proceeds from your donations. Our exceptional selection has made our Thrift Shops a beloved New York institution and offers a one-of-a-kind shopping experience,
While we appreciate every donation offer, there may be times that we decline certain items, due to wear, demand, or resale value.
About furniture pick-ups
Thank you for your interest in donating to Housing Works! After you complete our online donation form, our trained coordinators will contact you within 2 business days with a short list of questions to determine your donations' resale value. Any surface or condition damage such as rips, tears, stains, or fading may affect our ability to sell your donation, and may require our movers or donation coordinators to decline a donation.
Housing Works schedules pick-ups when furniture is the primary item being donated. Pick-ups in New Jersey, Westchester and Long Island are based on proximity and resale value. Non-furniture items can be dropped off at any of our shop locations during business hours.
Please fill out the form below to request a free pick-up of your furniture or call us at 1-888-HW-DONATE (888-493-6628) We return all phone and web inquiries within 2 business days, Monday – Friday in the order in which they are received.*
*Please note, we experience a high volume of calls at the end of each month, please be patient while we respond to all inquiries in order.
Have a question about the item you want to donate? See our sidebar for items we do and don’t pick-up.
Pick-Up Request Form
What we pick-up
- Furniture in excellent condition at the discretion of Donations team
- Apparel packed in boxes only
- Decorative items
- Clean housewares properly packed in boxes only
- Unusual finds
- Clean rugs up to 6' x 9' with occasional exceptions
What we don’t pick-up
- Mattresses, Box Springs, Futons, Day Beds For information on how to dispose of these items please click here
- Gas/kerosene-operated equipment
- Formica/wood composite/plywood or IKEA furniture
- Electronics older than 3 Years
- Used household appliances (coffeemakers, humidifiers, irons, etc.)
- Large appliances (dishwashers, ovens, etc.)
- Medical equipment, hospital beds, or supplies
- Broken or chipped dishware or glassware
- Exercise equipment
- Baby and children’s items (cribs, changing tables, high chairs, strollers, car seats)
- Toys and stuffed animals (unless in unopened packages)
- Fish tanks and pet care items
- Personal care items (hair dryers, hairbrushes, toothbrushes, used cosmetics, etc.)
- Textbooks, periodicals, worn or damaged books
- Items needing to be cleaned