Community

Our Stories

Making New York Home: One Client’s Story

Making New York Home: One Client’s Story

Starting over at any age isn’t easy, but for Holland G., Housing Works client and lifelong Californian, the lure of the Big Apple was undeniable. So at age 53, he bought a one way ticket to New York City armed with a suitcase and directions to Housing Works Cylar House.

“One of my dreams was to move to New York City,” he said. “When I knew I was taking this adventure, I researched HIV/AIDS organizations in New York and found Housing Works.”

For Holland, Housing Works played a pivotal role his transition from San Francisco to New York.

“Housing Works provided everything that I needed, medical attention, housing at Cylar House, dental services in Brooklyn and other programs like the Adult Day Health Care program with support groups for people with specific needs at the West Village Health Center,” he said. “They don’t have anything like that in West Coast.”

More than the breadth of services available through Housing Works, Holland is especially enthusiastic about the level of service the staff provides. “Everyone is helpful, there’s always a resource at Housing Works to help me. And that really impressed me.”

Housing Works is equally impressed by Holland’s courage to live his dream. He counts his Buddhist practice and Jewish upbringing as partial factors in his sunny outlook. The rest, he equates to his positive experience at Housing Works. In fact, he feels he was born to be a New Yorker.

With so much positivity and thankfulness Holland has a special message for all Housing Works staff and supporters.

“I have nothing but gratitude for your contributions. They do not go unnoticed.”

blog comments powered by Disqus