Community

Our Stories

Jamie Stahl, Social Work Intern

Jamie Stahl, Social Work Intern

Michelle Benrath, RN (left), going over charts with Jamie Stahl (right), social work intern

Jamie Stahl dived head first into Housing Works, taking on two roles at once.

Just this past December, Stahl, a graduate student in social work at Yeshiva University, signed up to become a volunteer at the Housing Works Thrift Shop Donations Department. And within days, advocated to be placed as an intern with the Housing Works’ Adult Day Health Center in East New York.

“There’s organizations all over trying to fight HIV, but having the medical care, counseling and housing all together, is fascinating. I like that there is the retail aspect, which I also understand how this fits into the mission of the organization.”

Housing Work’s mix of social services, advocacy and social enterprise makes sense to Stahl. She studied retail management and consumer studies as an undergraduate, and then worked as retail manager. Unfulfilled, she went back to school for social work.

“Just from volunteering, I knew I wanted to be at Housing Works,” said Stahl. “Generally the school chooses our internship placements, but I went out on a limb and really pushed to get my internship approved.”

At the ADHC, Stahl’s internship duties include conducting group counseling sessions with clients, as well as provides case management support. She continues to volunteer with the thrift shops.

“I’m thrilled,” she said. This is exactly where I should be.”

blog comments powered by Disqus