Community

Our Stories

CB Kirby, Love & Leather

CB Kirby, Love & Leather

CB KIrby, a Housing Works Client Turned “Love & Leather” Fundraiser

It was a labor of love when CB Kirby organized the Love & Leather fundraiser for Housing Works. The second annual event is taking place on February 9, 2012

Kirby moved to New York, himself HIV-positive and a case manager for people with HIV in Orlando, FL, he was unprepared for the red-tape and runaround he would get with city agencies for people with HIV like HASA.

“I had never come across a more dysfunctional city agency as HASA when I needed housing,” said Kirby.

Kirby eventually found out about Housing Works, and when he became a client, he received the kind of help he needed navigating the city’s complex social services. As payment for this, Kirby, a longtime member of the Leather community, launched Love & Leather, to support Housing Works’ mission.

“I’m a member of the Leather community, and knew this was one way I could give back,” said Kirby, who was also the reigning Mr. Eagle for 2011.

Love and Leather, is a fashion show geared towards the leather and fetish community, taking place on Thursday, February 9, 2012 at Housing Works’ Chelsea Thrift Shop. Kirby worked to get clothing and accessories donated by stores and manufacturers. Items will be auctioned online at shop.housingworks.org starting February 3. All proceeds benefit Housing Works.

“It feels good to give back to Housing Works, who helped me when I needed it.”

blog comments powered by Disqus