Community

Our Stories

Art Therapy

Art Therapy

In anticipation of Housing Works’ first-ever joint art exhibit between the Cylar House Behavioral Health Clinic and AIDS Adult Day Health Clinic opening on June 16, we interviewed one of the participating artists, Wayde Toman, about his involvement in the Creative Arts Therapy program informed his art.

Housing Works: Name, location, where are you from?
Wayde Toman: Cylar House, born and raised in New Jersey

HW: How did you learn about Housing Works?
WT: I learned about Housing Works, when I became homeless. A friend of mine recommended that I go there for help.

HW: When did you first discover your love of art?
WT: I started dabbling in origami when I was 9. And studied art in college. Later I owned a Faux Finishing business. Now, I find myself combining all of those skills to create pieces that speak to the advocate and healer in me. Elements from all parts of my personal evolution and growing craft are represented in my work.

HW: In your opinion, how does the Creative Arts Therapy program benefit participants?
WT: Speaking for myself, the Creative Arts Therapy gave me a chance to explore different sides of myself that I previously found difficult to express. It allowed me the apace to explore the process that goes into the work and develop an appreciation through all phases of completion.

HW: Tell us about ‘All In, Community Pride Art Exhibit’? What is your role in the show?
WT: I’m an artist in the community and I’m contributing to the art show in order to further bring awareness to the struggle of Mental Illness and HIV.

Don’t miss Wayde’s work at the “All In” Community. Pride. Art. Exhibit. Opening Night Reception Tuesday, June 16th from 6-9pm. Exhibit hours Wednesday 6/17- Saturday 6/20, 2-5pm at the Keith D. Cylar Community Health Center 743-749 East 9th St. New York, NY 10009.

blog comments powered by Disqus