If the store is open, the cafe’s serving. Enjoy fresh food and drink served by friendly volunteers in a space The New York Times calls “the literary salon the city has been missing.”
We cook and bake fresh daily using local seasonal ingredients whenever possible.
Beer/Wine (what’s better than books and beer?)
Happy Hour Specials: All Day on Fridays from June through August
- Buckets of beer (5 beers): PBR $12, Brooklyn Lager $20, Sixpoint Sweet Action $24
- Bottle of wine $15
- Grilled cheese or PB&J with a Brooklyn Lager $8
- Grab-bag beer buckets (1 PBR, 1 Brooklyn Lager, and 3 “surprise” beers!)
Sandwiches (made fresh on premises on Balthazar bread)*
- Turkey, apple, Brie with a fig spread on a baguette
- Grilled Cheese with Vermont cheddar and Dijon mustard on pan de mie
- Focaccia with Mozzarella, tomato, pesto
- Tuna Croissant with dried Cranberries
- Italian Grinder with ham, salami, provolone, jalapenos, & red onions
- Chicken Sandwich with Lettuce, tomatoes & chipotle mayo
- Roast Beef Sandwich with Roast beef, lettuce, tomatoes,& red onion
- Turkey and Swiss with a cranberry Spread
Salads (vary daily, made fresh on premises, most are vegan and gluten-free)*
- Chick Pea Salad: Garbanzo beans, red peppers, seedless cucumbers, red onions, champagne vinaigrette, lemon juice
- Black Bean Avocado Salad with Jalapenos, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, and lemon juice
- Fruit Salad (Varies daily)
Soups from Hale & Hearty (usually vegetarian, sometimes vegan — please ask and we will find out for you)*
- Change on a daily basis, so drop by to find out what’s hot!
- Croissants and pastries, including croissant Doughnuts from Davidovich Bakery in the Essex Market
- Blueberry and carrot raisin muffins baked on site daily
- Chocolate chip, peanut butter, oatmeal raisin.
- Pumpkin nut, zucchini nut, and banana chocolate chip breads from Jae and Ess Bakery
- Varies gluten free and vegan cookies and pastries.
Weekend Brunch Options
- Quiche, ranges in flavors but always includes a vegetarian and a meat option
- House—made cinnamon rolls
- Soup + sandwich $8-$10
*Note: menu options subject to change based on seasonal ingredients.